Sunday 16 September 2012

Muskegon River, Michigan

Yesterday my Dad and did a float trip on the Muskegon River in Newaygo, Michigan for Smallmouth Bass and Trout.  The water temperatures were too low for bass to be very active but still too warm for trout.  Salmon were beginning their spawning run from Lake Michigan but were too few to fish for.
Once we launched we fished for trout in the cooler waters in the top stretches of the river, I was able to get two small rainbows swinging small wet flies over the riffled water.
Our guide, Matt Zudwig was a really cool guy.  Artist, Signmaker, fishing guide, and a great guy to spend a day on the water with.
We spent the majority of the day throwing big streamers and poppers to the bank with 8wt. rods.  I think I did more casting than I ever have in one day.
We didn't hook or land a lot of fish, but even a 12in bass put a hell of a bend in an 8wt rod..





1 comment:

  1. holly shit bro!!!! thats sick!!me and the hog waiting for you to go to the west coast, far out back to back fishin season its oooonnnnnn!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete